Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Technicolor Twist block tutorial

I'm popping in today with a block tutorial to share.  August is my month to be the quilter for the Imagine circle of do. Good Stitches.  I hymmed and hawed about what block I wanted everyone to make, and just couldn't decide.  I wanted something that I could get a decent size quilt out of, without having to add lots of extra blocks myself (our little secret-I'm still working on November's do. Good Stitches Quilt!  It'll be done soon, I promise)  Anyways, I started playing around on TouchDraw for iPad, and lo and behold, a quilt block was born!  

Untitled

This block finishes quite large, at 20" square, but comes together pretty quickly.  Don't let the size scare you, it actually works out nicely, as it would only take 12 blocks to result in a generous size lap quilt.  I'm calling it Technicolor Twist, mostly for the bright electric colors, and sort of "twisting" squares, and also because I am horrible at naming quilts and blocks, and its the first name that came to mind.  

DSC_0173-1

Technicolor Twist block
20.5" unfinished block

You'll need:

(1) 5.5" square- Fabric A
(2) 5.5" x 3" - Fabric B
(2) 10.5" x 3" - Fabric B
(2) 5.25" square- Fabric C
(2) 5.25" square- Fabric D
(4) 5.5" square- Fabric D
(4) 3" square- Grey
(6) 5.25" square- Grey
(6) 5.25" square- White

DSC_0156

use scant 1/4" seam throughout

1.  Draw a diagonal line from corner to corner on the (4) 3" grey squares

DSC_0157

2.  Align one 3" grey square in one corner of your 5.5" Fabric D square as shown below, and stitch along the marked diagonal line on the grey square.  Repeat for remaining (3) 5.5" Fabric D squares and (3) 3" grey squares.

DSC_0163

3.  Trim to 1/4" inseam and press

DSC_0165

DSC_0166

4.  Pair (2) Fabric D 5.25" squares with (2) grey 5.25" squares, right sides together

DSC_0158

5.  Stitch around all 4 edges using scant 1/4" seam.  

DSC_0162

6.  Using a rotary cutter, cut each square in half diagonally from corner to corner, and then again diagonally from the remaining two corners as shown below:

DSC_0164

7.  Press resulting HSTs open and trim to 3" square

DSC_0167

8.  Pair (2) white 5.25" squares with (2) Fabric C 5.25" squares.  Make 8 HSTs using process described in steps 5-7

DSC_0159

9.  Pair (4) white 5.25" squares with (4) grey 5.25" squares.  Make 16 HSTs using process described in steps 5-7

DSC_0160

10.  Sew (2) 5.5 x 3" Fabric B rectangles to opposite sides of Fabric A 5.5" square

DSC_0161

11.  Sew (2) 10.5" x 3" Fabric B rectangles to remaining two sides of Fabric A square

DSC_0168

12.  Next we will make our middle HST units in the block.  Arrange 8 HSTs in the arrangement shown below.  Repeat to result in (4) 10.5" x 5.5" HST sections as shown below:

DSC_0169

13.  Sew (1) Fabric D/grey square from step 3 onto each end of (2) HST sections from step 12 as shown below:

DSC_0171

14.  Sew remaining (2) HST sections from step 12 onto opposite sides of Fabric A/Fabric B square from steps 10 and 11 as shown below

DSC_0170

15.  Sew 3 resulting rows together as shown below, stand back and admire your work!

DSC_0172

I hope you enjoyed the tutorial, if you make a Technicolor Twist block I'd love to see it in the Stitching with SewCraftyJess flickr group!  

16 comments:

  1. Great block! I'm definitely going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty block! That app looks like something I should give a try.
    ~Amy~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty blocks! I have to try this! Thanks for sharing. Judith, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks great, thanks for sharing :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definetely. need to.try! .Awesome block!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful quilt to make thank's for the tutorial. up on my to do's list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this block, can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This block is great! This looks like it would be a perfect bee block.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this block and the colors - I can't wait to see this quilt finished! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great block. I hope the blocks you receive are truly fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this blok! I just ordered some fabrics for this (needed the Ash for my stash..ha, ha and was lacking in the pink side of purple department). Can't wait for it to arrive now!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this block! Perfect colors ! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, I don't like making a ton of little pieces. First thing I would do is draft me a paper piecing pattern and do away with a lot of those little triangles. Faster for me, and I need that, and less points to have to match. And I have to make my points match. It's an interesting pattern, and I think I will try it, with my adjustments! It's like my cooking, I take a basic recipe and then add to or adapt it. Same with every box mix and I find it works well with quilt blocks too!! I like the quilts that have dozens of 2 or 3 inch blocks in rows of shashing, but only if someone else is making it. Or if I only have to make one block like for a challenge or such. I either don't start them or find another way to sash them. I know my limitations and it's mostly with patience. I might as well not start something I know I won't finish. I think batiks would look good in this pattern. HMMM.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete